Explore Dell Compellent Storage and find out why Dell's strategy is to sell fewer disks. Now get flash for the price of disk.
Compellent drives down the cost of the data center with a range of technologies that automatically seeks your best interest, eliminating excess capacity, consolidating data silos and saving time on storage administration.
Compellent Storage Center 6.4 software helps you optimize your platform for high-speed storage with minimized application latencies and exceptionally low TCO.
Self-Optimized, Intelligent Storage for a Dynamic Data Center
Dell Compellent continues to power the data center with the Storage Center array software release 6.4. This latest release supports Flash-optimized solutions that reduce costs up to 80% as compared to other competitive flash solutions, the new SC280 dense enclosure and the FS8600 NAS appliance with FluidFS v3. Compellent boosts performance, enhances efficiency while lowering TCO, and scales easily to adapt to your business need.
Flash Storage at the Price of Disk
With a SC220 enclosure and improved Storage Center 6.4 firmware, Dell Compellent Flash-optimized Solutions can deliver all-flash or hybrid-flash storage. They are designed to provide high-performance, low-latency storage to:
- Enhance performance for Oracle, SQL and other enterprise applications
- Accelerate OLTP, ERP systems and other I/O-intensive workloads
- Improve quantity and latency for virtual desktops
- Lowers data center power consumption and cooling requirements
- Reduces reduce latency by up to 90% and rack space by up to 84%
- Achieve up to 300,000 IOPS
Storage Center Operating System 7
What separates Dell Compellent Flash-optimized Solutions from other all-flash and hybrid-flash solutions? With an enhanced SCOS 7 firmware, Dell Compellent Flash-optimized Solutions are provided with deeper intelligence and data efficiency. SCOS 7 provides excellent capabilities including:
- Lower acquisition costs across flash and hybrid arrays
- Reduced lifecycle costs
- Increased flexibility
- Enhanced support for virtualization and cloud strategies
- Increased portfolio-level investment protection
SCOS 7 delivers granular management targeting and control with new Quality of Service features and VMware VVOLS support to simplify management of multi-tenancy and cloud environments. As the industry leader for price on cost-per-gigabit, Dell's SCOS 7 offers all-flash tiers under $0.45/GB and hard drive tiers under $0.10/GB net effective capacity.
Intelligently Manage and Protect Your Data
Dell™ Compellent™ enables enterprises of all sizes to move beyond simply storing data to actively, intelligently managing data with an integrated software feature set. Powerful storage software with built-in automation optimizes the provisioning, placement and protection of data throughout its lifecycle. Dell Compellent flash-optimized solutions have the ability to tier across write-intensive SLC SSDs and lower-cost, high-capacity, read-intensive MLC SSDs in a single solution, which can reduce costs up to 80 percent compared to other flash-optimized solutions offering flash for the price of disk. Receive comprehensive monitoring and customizable reporting for capacity and performance of all local and remote Storage Center systems with an intuitive management console. This interface minimizes administration time by automating repetitive tasks and providing wizards for configuration and administration functions.
- Optimize data placement — Using real-time system intelligence for each block, Storage Center moves data where it’s needed, when it’s needed, based on actual use and performance needs. Dell Compellent is the first solution in its class to automatically tier data from single-level cell (SLC) SSDs to lower cost read-intensive, multi-level cell (MLC) SSDs and traditional rotating disks.
- Maximize storage utilization — Built into every Compellent system, Dynamic Capacity thin provisions volumes for ultra-efficient storage utilization.
- Provide dynamic business continuity — In an environment with multiple arrays, Live Volume acts as a storage hypervisor, actively mapping volumes between systems.
- Enhance data protection — Compellent delivers continuous data protection with advanced snapshot and disaster recovery functionality.
- Simplify management — Manage data intuitively—and automatically—through a single pane of glass with the advanced provisioning and reporting capabilities of Enterprise Manager.
- Unify block and file storage — Expand the capabilities of a traditional file architecture with non-disruptive scaling for both block and file, robust data protection and a single-interface to manage them both.
Ensures Continuously Available System Resources to All Servers – Physical or Virtual
Dell Compellent Storage Center is able to create a pool of continuously available, shared storage resources by virtualizing enterprise network storage at the block level. By spreading read/write operations across all of the drives, it enables multiple requests to be simultaneously processed - enhancing system performance and becoming an advantage to the users. Storage virtualization allows the user to create hundreds of virtual volumes, which are then used to support virtual server platforms and to optimize virtual application placement, all within a matter of seconds.
How Storage Virtualization Can Enhance Your System Performance:
- Create any-sized virtual volumes – Eliminating the need to allocate drives to specific servers or perform complicated tasks such as capacity planning or performance tuning
- Simplified storage provisioning – Able to present network storage to servers without drive allocation, since Storage Center will intelligently provision storage for you
- Eliminates the limitations of physical ports – Instead treats multiple virtual ports as a single port for increased port capacity, disk bandwidth, I/O connectivity and more.
- Minimized disruptions and downtime - Able to dynamically scale your storage pool and upgrade your system without interruption
- RAID virtualization - Eliminate the need to have a single RAID type for a volume or disk group. Storage Center can intelligently applies RAID policies to individual pages, not the volume. A single volume can contain blocks with RAID10, RAID5, and RAID6 policies.